At Audi, progress is its main virtue. The Vorsprung Durch Technik, the progress of technology and innovation is continuous. The E-tron is the electric technology of future Audi vehicles.
Unlike the usual electric motor car construction by renowned manufacturers, the E-tron will feature motors both in front and rear axles. The weight distribution will also be near 50: 50 ( 50:48 as stated by Audi) .
Audi is not however going to create AC-induction motors or permanent magnet driven motors but will have its own design. Sigfried Pint, technical director for power-train development mentioned that the motors will be magnet free but will be having a power density of a permanent magnet at a cost of an induction motor..
To achieve consistent performance, liquid cooling will run alongside its batteries since electric motor batteries operate at a very narrow temperature range and they get hot very easily under operation and load. The E tron power trains will be very capable of offroading. It will drive each four wheels effectively and have an advantage of quattro. Each individual motors will give torque vectoring happening that is giving variable power to each wheel, constantly and faster at cornering speeds or spirited driving. So we all know that electric motors have zero loss of power and produced 6 times more torque than mechanical motors. And the result? , well the top spec Etrons will be very much capable of delivering 1500 lb of torque to single wheels. So that means it has to have a very strong suspension component to handle that kind of power to each wheel.
The e tron projects are already being tested in severe conditions, offroad and in snow and they are performing very well. These cars will be a cornering monster! .The E trons are coming out in 2018 and they would be seriously quick.
Some of the details of the upcoming E-tron Quattro SUV concept. Would this be the all new Q6? Check out the video from Auto autogefuehl.de below.
- All-electric drive with a near-production body as an e-tron quattro: based on the MLB evo; three electric motors, one on the front axle, two on the rear axle with dynamic torque vectoring
- Total output while boosting 370 kW, total torque more than 800 Nm (590.0 lbft)
- 0 to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in just 4.6 seconds, electronically governed top speed of 210 km/h (130.5 mph)
- Intelligent control strategy for the interplay of the electric motors, various recuperation levels
- Lithium-ion battery in the floor between the axles, 95 kWh capacity for a range of more than 500 kilometers (310.7 mi) on a full charge
- Charging possible with AC and DC electrical current
- Very convenient charging thanks to Audi Wireless Charging (AWC) and piloted parking
- Chassis with adaptive air suspension and dynamic-all-wheel steering
- Technologies for piloted driving, central driver assistance controller (zFAS)
Aerodynamics and design
- SUV with sporty, coupe-like lines, low greenhouse, tapered rear end with aerodynamic separating edges
- 4.88 meters (16.0 ft) long, 1.93 meters (6.3 ft) wide and just 1.54 meters (5.1 ft) high, five doors
- Excellent air flow: cd value only 0.25, top-level aeroacoustics
- New aerodynamics concept combines technical measures for reducing aerodynamic drag with creative design solutions
- Examples include aerodynamic details such as the moving elements at the front, sides and rear; camera technology instead of conventional exterior mirrors; and a fully enclosed floor pan with microstructures
- Matrix laser technology headlights
- New e-tron design with OLED lighting elements at the front and rear
- Roof with solar cells, saves electricity direct to the battery
- Room for four adults, 615-liter (21.7 cu ft) luggage compartment
- Progressive interior design, fusion with OLED operating and display concept
- New Audi virtual cockpit curved OLED as digital instrument cluster
- Innovative film vents in front seat backs to ventilate the rear compartment
- Steering wheel with touch surfaces in the spokes
- Online connection via LTE, wide range of connectivity functions available
(Specifications and features may change prior to production. The listed specifications is only for the German market model)